Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Beverages

Here is a question I recently received from FOODPICKER.org

Since I have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I have been really watching my carb intake. I’m not sure about beverages though. What can I drink that will not affect my blood sugar besides water? Can I have my morning coffee?

Beverages can be tricky with diabetes. Beverages such as milk, drinkable yogurts, smoothies, fruit juices, and regular soft drinks contain carbohydrate and must be counted as part of your carb intake.

There are many drinks that contain very little or no amount of carbohydrate. For example, black coffee or tea, or coffee with non-dairy creamer and sugar substitute is a good choice. Sugar-free flavored or carbonated water, diet sodas, and sugar free flavorings such as sugar-free kool aid and Crystal Light are also very good options.

No comments:

Post a Comment