Saturday, September 4, 2010

Healthy Fats

Here is a question I recently received from FOODPICKER.org

I have pre-diabetes and am confused about fats. A friend was telling me there are “healthier fats” I should be including in my diet. I thought all fats were bad? Could you tell me which fats I should include in my diet (if any)?


"Fat" has a bad reputation, but in reality, fats are a necessary part of a balanced diet. The hard part is determining which types of fats you should eat. There are two main types of fats:

*Saturated fats and trans fats. These are considered to the the "bad fats". Saturated fats are found in butter and animal fats. Trans fats are commonly found in fried and processed foods. These should be limited in the diet.

*Unsaturated fats and Omega-3 fats. There are considered to be the "good fats". Unsaturated fats (found in olive and canola oils) and Omega 3 fats (found in salmon, tuna, and nuts) are a good part of a balanced diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment