Sunday, July 18, 2010

Traveling with Diabetes

Here is a question I recently received from FOODPICKER.org

I have type 2 diabetes and travel quite a bit. My eating & exercise are unpredictable at best when I travel and I’m having a difficult time managing my diabetes. What do you suggest?

When on the road, it is difficult to be healthful, with or without diabetes! Here are some tips to get you into a healthier routine when you're traveling:

1) Some hotels have refrigerators and kitchen facilities. If possible, try to prepare your own meas.
2) Some airlines have diabetic meal options.
3) Hotel chains usually have some sort of pool and/or fitness center. Use these facilities to get your daily exercise.
4) If possible, walk instead of drive or using other transportation.
5) When eating out, be careful of portion sizes. Also, ask for dressings and sauces on the side and opt for grilled items instead of fried items or dishes with heavy sauces.
6) Drink plenty of water. Carry a water bottle!
7) Research when you're planning your trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment