Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Diabetes and High Cholesterol

Here is a question I recently received from FOODPICKER.org

I just had an appointment with my doctor and she said my A1C was 6.7 and that my cholesterol was also high. I guess I have been eating too much cheese and eggs, which raised my cholesterol. What diabetic friendly foods can I eat to help me lower my cholesterol?


Cheese and eggs may be a contributing factor, but you can still enjoy these foods while trying to lower cholesterol. You may want to limit you cheese intake or choose a reduced fat cheese. For eggs, you can eat egg white or purchase egg substitute, which is essentially egg whites with yellow food coloring. The culprit of the eff is the yolk (the yellow center part), as that part of the egg contains cholesterol. However, the whites are in the clear- they contain NO cholesterol.

Here are some other tips to improving cholesterol:
*Exercise daily
*Try to lose weight, if needed
*Use heart healthy oils, such as olive oil or canola oil
*Eat less animal based products and incorporate more vegetable proteins
*as mentioned above replace whole eggs with egg whites or egg substitute
*Incorporate more fiber in your diet, such as whole grain breads, cereals, and pastas and fresh fruits and vegetables
*Take medication, if prescribed by your doctor. If you are concerned, your doctor will can discuss medications with you at your next appointment

No comments:

Post a Comment