Sunday, May 2, 2010

Gluten Intolerance

Here is a question I recently received from FOODPICKER.org

I have type 2 diabetes and just found out I have gluten intolerance. I haven’t been able to figure out what I can eat. I have been leaving grains out of my diet. What should I do?

With gluten intolerance, gluten products should be eliminated from the diet. This condition, also known as Celiac disease, requires avoidance of foods containing wheat, barley, rye, and possibly oats, as the consumption of these foods cause damage to the small intestine, leading to GI symptoms and malabsorption. Keep in mind that the treatment for this condition is solely to follow a gluten-free diet.

While wheat, barley, rye, and possibly oat products and derivatives must be eliminated from the diet, grains and plant foods that do not contain gluten include rice, corn, beans, soy, and potatoes. Note that these foods still contain carbohydrate, so be aware of your portion sizes and intake. Also be sure to read food labels for ingredients and processing information to make careful purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment